We value our customers highly and aim to provide a positive experience right from the proposal through to the final payment and beyond. The fair treatment of our customers is very important to us. However if you are less than satisfied please let us know so that we can put things right
The best way for us to understand and resolve your complaint is for you to call us on 0800 085 2050. We’re open from 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday. We can resolve most complaints while you’re on the phone.
Alternatively, if calling isn’t convenient you can:
Send us an email
Our email address is:
Write to us
Santander Consumer Finance
86 Station Road
For more details of our complaints procedure, which you can download please follow this link:
Complaints about Payment Protection Insurance (PPI)
If your complaint is regarding your Motor Finance Payment Protection, you can find more information on our Payment Protection Insurance complaints page.
Here are the answers to the most frequently asked questions regarding complaints
- What should I do if I have a problem with my vehicle?
- You should firstly contact your supplying dealer to discuss the problem. If you are unhappy with the outcome and require further assistance you can submit a ‘Satisfactory Quality Complaint‘ to Santander Consumer Finance.
- How do I make a complaint?
- We value our customers highly and aim to provide a positive experience right from the proposal through to the final payment and beyond. The fair treatment of our customers is very important to us. If you are less than satisfied we want to know so that we can put things right. For more details please click here to read our complaints procedure, alternatively you can contact our Complaints Team on 0800 085 2050.
- What happens once I have raised my complaint?
If we are unable to resolve your complaint before the end of the day after you make your complaint we will send you an acknowledgment within 5 days. If by 4 weeks after your complaint is received we are unable to provide a final response, we will write and inform you and indicate when we expect to be in a position to send our final response. The majority of complaints will be quickly and satisfactorily resolved by this stage, however, if the matter is more complex and involves a third party, it may take longer to resolve. The Finance & Leasing Association (FLA) offers a conciliation service to customers of its members (Santander Consumer Finance is a member of the FLA). They may be able to assist in bringing the matter to a conclusion. In our final response letter we will set out our final view on the issues raised in your complaint and tell you whether we:
- accept your complaint and – where appropriate – are offering redress
- are offering redress without accepting your complaint or reject your complaint.
If we reject your complaint, our final response letter will explain why we have reached this decision. If by 8 weeks after your complaint is received we are still unable to provide a final response we will write and tell you how much longer we believe it will take before a final response can be sent. At this point, if your agreement is regulated by the Consumer Credit Act or your complaint relates to an insurance product linked to your account, you will be entitled to refer your complaint to The Financial Ombudsman’s Service (FOS) who provide a dispute resolution service.
- What happens if I have made a complaint but not received your response?
- We will provide a full response as soon as possible but no later than 8 weeks from the receipt of your complaint. If we don’t resolve your complaint within 8 weeks we will write to you with an update and let you know how to take your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman should you wish to do so. If you have any questions about your complaint, you can contact our Complaints team on 0800 085 2050.
- What happens if I am not satisfied with your final response?
- Our final response letter will tell you that if you remain dissatisfied with our response you may refer the complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service within six months of the date of our final response.
- Can I use a solicitor, claims management company or third party to manage my complaint?
- Yes, you can. If you employ a solicitor, claims management company or third party – e.g. a financial advisor – to handle your complaint, we’ll investigate your complaint in the same way as we would if we were dealing with you directly. Please be aware that:
- we don’t charge to investigate your complaint
- we’re not liable for any fees you need to pay for a third party’s services
- if we agree with your complaint and we make a redress payment, we’ll generally only make this payment directly to you.
- Can I refer my complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service?
If you’re not happy with our final decision about your complaint, you may be able to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). The FOS acts as an independent and impartial organisation which helps settle disputes between consumers and financial services businesses. For the FOS to look into your complaint you must have tried to resolve it with us first or it must have been over 8 weeks since you first raised your complaint.
How to contact the Financial Ombudsman Service
Phone: 0800 023 4 567 - Calls to this number are normally free for people ringing from a fixed line phone but charges may apply if you call from a mobile phone
0300 123 9 123 - Calls to this number are charged at the same rate as 01 or 02 numbers on mobile phone tariffs.
- Email: email@example.com
- Write: Financial Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, London E14 9SR.
Further details about the Financial Ombudsman Service will be given with our final decision letter.
- I think I may have been mis-sold Payment Protection Insurance, what should I do?
As part of our commitment to treating customers fairly we will look into any issue you have in respect of the sale of Payment Protection Insurance. To start this process please complete this questionnaire and send it to us at:
PPI Resolution Team
Santander Consumer (UK) plc
86 Station Road
Surrey, RH1 1SR.
Once received we’ll respond to your enquiry as quickly as possible.
Santander Consumer (UK) Plc Complaints Data
- 1 July 2016 – 31 December 2016
Firm Name: Santander Consumer (UK) Plc Group (If Applicable): Santander Other firms included in this report (If any): N/A Period covered in this report: 1 July 2016 – 31 December 2016 Brands/Trading names covered: Santander Consumer Finance, Mazda Financial Services, Volvo Car Credit Number of complaints opened Number of complaints closed Complaints closed within 8 weeks (%) Closed complaints upheld by firm (%) General Insurance 43 49 84% 48% Conditional Sale / PCP 877 936 96% 44% Loans 185 200 96% 40% Total 1105 1185 95% 43%
To put these figures into context:
We have around 400,000 customers. For every 1,000 customers, 2.76 raised a complaint.
Of the total complaints, 40% related to the vehicle.